Use these 10 tips to prepare your home for sale to get the best price and impress potential
1. Improve your landscaping. Curb appeal is the first impression. Therefore, make
certain your home’s front yard is immaculate. Mow the lawn, prune the bushes, weed the
garden and plant flowers.
2. Clean the outside. An un-kept exterior might make buyers think you are not on top of
maintaining your interior as well. Be sure to clean the gutters and pressure wash sidewalk,
siding and take away any junk.
3. Make repairs. In any market, to get the best price possible, you want your home to be in the
best condition. Take care of major defects like broken windows, a leaky roof, change furnace
filters. Deferred maintenance could discourage buyers.
4. Make the front door inviting. A fresh coat of paint will make the front door stand out.
Replace faded house numbers, paint the mailbox if needed, add potted flowers.
5. Buy a new welcome mat. Let buyers know they’re invited into your home.
6. In the interior, remove clutter and depersonalize inside. Buyers want to envision their
belongings in your home. Clean up by renting a storage unit for knickknacks, photos, extra
furniture and other personal items.
7. Organize closets and drawers. Messy closets give the appearance that your home
Is not well cared for or doesn’t have enough storage space.
8. Clean, clean and clean some more. From light fixtures to floors and windows and everything
else. Clean your home until it shines! Buyers will notice!
9. Simplify your house’s color palette. You might like your bright red bedroom or bathroom, but
it may distract your buyers. Paint is an inexpensive way to freshen up your walls. Pick a neutral
color that will appeal to a wide range of buyers.
10. Eliminate bad odors. Hide the litter box. But please DON’T mask odors with plug-in
fresheners. Some buyers are sensitive to too much fragrance. Instead, get rid of garbage or
anything you feel could cause any funky odors.
Follow along for more tips and tricks about selling and buying your home. Read more posts on selling here.